MARIA CRISTINA FALLS
Maria Cristina Falls, located in Iligan City, is one of the top tourist destinations in the country. It is also referred to as the “twin falls” because of the rock at its brink that separates the water’s flow, although this can only be witnessed if the plant is not operational.
The waterfalls reaches 98-meter high with a 320-meter drop making it one of the highest in the country. The source of this powerful falls is the country’s largest freshwater lake, Lake Lanao. This huge body of water supplies not only Maria Cristina Falls but some of the other waterfalls in Iligan City as well.
The powerful waterfalls powers Agus HydroElectric Plant which is one of the primary source of electricity, not only for Iligan, but for the whole region of Mindanao. Its huge drop and its powerful current makes it one of the grandest in the country. It is also surprisingly accessible.
NPC NATURE’S PARK
Maria Cristina Falls is located inside National Power Corporation (NPC) Nature’s Park which broke ground last 2006 and is now open to the public. Maria Cristina Falls is definitely one of the highlights when visiting the park but it’s not the only thing to do once inside.
Upon entering the park, ride the shuttle and drop off at their mini zoo. It houses a crocodile farm, a couple of ostriches, kois and a good collection of birds. There’s also a butterfly sanctuary and an orchidarium. All of these attractions are already included in the entrance fee.
After visiting the zoo, head up to the falls’ view deck using the park’s shuttle service. The view deck is approximately a hundred meters from the falls. The park’s tree top and zipline adventure serves as your marker that you’re near the view deck. Remember to pay at the entrance if you plan to ride the zipline. There’s also a mini-restaurant near the view deck where you could dine while enjoying the falls’ beauty.
The viewing deck gives you the best seats to admire Maria Cristina Falls. You’ll also have a glimpse of the falls’ basin. Unfortunately, when we visited, the viewing deck is closed for renovation.
Maria Cristina Falls inside NPC Nature’s Park is located only 9 kilometers southwest of the city. It can easily be reached by a Buru-un bound jeepney from the city proper. Tell the driver that you’re going to Maria Cristina Falls. From the drop off, just walk to the entrance of NPC Nature’s Park.
Maria Cristina Falls is one of the major attractions in Iligan’s Tourism Triangle alongside Mimbalut and Tinago Falls. The three waterfalls can be conveniently visited in one day. For more details on HOW TO GET THERE, WHERE TO STAY, FAMOUS ILIGAN LECHON and our full ILIGAN ITINERARY AND TRAVEL GUIDE (Read: Iligan Travel Guide: City of Majestic Waterfalls and the Must-try Iligan Lechon)
- Transportation: Super Five Bus from CDO-Iligan P100, Jeepney to Buru-un P12.50 drop-off at Maria Cristina Falls
- Entrance Fees: NPC Nature’s Park entrance P45/head, P35/senior/student
- Other fees: NPC Nature’s Park shuttle service P10/head, Maria Cristina Zipline P200/head
- The park is only open from 9am to 4pm. Visiting Maria Cristina Falls should be first on your list if you plan to finish Iligan’s Tourism Triangle in one day.
- If you don’t have a car, we recommend availing of their shuttle service since the falls and the mini zoo area is far from the entrance gate.
- Signal is good for all major networks inside the nature’s park.
- Based on other blogs online, it’s best to view the falls during weekends around lunch time to witness the twin drop. During our visit on a weekday around lunch time, we were still able to witness the twin drop.